Friday 5 August 2016

Carnifex "Slow Death" Album review

Image result for slow death
          Carnifex is an American Death metal band from San Diego that got its start in 2005 releasing their debut EP entitles "Love Lies In Ashes" at the end of 2006. Death metal and Death core have quite possibly become one of the most over saturated genres of metal with many bands putting out albums and songs that are all similar sounding and lack any form of creative ingenuity it is extremely refreshing to listen to a band that takes all the cultural trends and stupid cliches that have worked their way into Death core and throw them out the window. Carnifex has stayed true to their sound and have steadily released exceptional records for almost eleven years without loosing their edge.

Usually bands start to mellow after years on the road as they grow up and their music reflects that, with many of their albums becoming repackaged clones of music they'd released years before. Carnifex on the other hand seems to get even more brutal and violent with each record they release. Especially since they introduced Black metal elements into their music with their 2010 release of "Hell Chose Me" Many thought (including myself) that it would be impossible for them to top this album which was at the point the hardest and most evil sounding album I had ever listened to. But when I first slipped the CD for "Die Without Hope" into my computer my mind was blown as the shrieking, screaming, growls and breakdowns literally caused me sensory overload and I sat in a perpetual state of shock as the evil sounds emitting from my piece of crap fisher price CD player encompassed me.

Once again Carnifex has outdone themselves with the release of "Slow Death." There aren't to many ways to describe this album other then downright amazing. I challenge anyone to try and get through the album without subconsciously banging their head to it. The drums, guitars and astonishing vocal range are astonishing making it immensely hard to find anything to critique on the album. The only time I was even slightly disappointed during this album was when it ended and I realized that my rage filled roller coaster ride had finally come to an end. So now that I've finished my babble about the band Ill get on with the record.

The album opens with the track "Dark Heart Ceremony" and the intro to this song is perfect, it starts with a creepy piano intro that really sets a creepy vibe for the song. Then we are met with the Carnifex that many of us fell in love with. The percussion is the first thing I noticed being a drummer myself my jaw dropped when I listened to the double kicks that were so fast they sounded more like a machine gun then a drum kit. The vocals are as per usual spot on the growls sound so evil that they will make the hair on anyones arms stand up as the song hammers along. One thing I noticed that was different from the other Carnifex songs that have come before it is the guitars are playing slower but equally heavy riffs which allow the vocals and drum loops to be stretched more. Which I thought was a great addition to an already amazing song.

Then we have the title track "Slow Death" and with a name like "Slow Death" you can guess what your in for the track is fast, its mean and it made me wish I had long hair so I could start pin wheeling it around.  The opening riff of this song will have you thrashing your body around like your in the middle of an epileptic seizure. The drums again are a main factor in the song as the double kicks are instantaneously replaced by a more melodic sounding crash symbol loop. Which gives the song a more full effect to it and it also gives everyone else in the band a few seconds to recuperate as the music slows down just enough for them to take a breather before ripping right back into the song. The ending of the song is my favourite part as the guitar does a tuned up loop that adds an extra layer of musical elements to the song. But some how even with a touch of light in the song it doesn't loose its evil elements even for a second.

The next song that caught my attention was entitled "Pale Ghost" which has a stand alone beat intro that moves into the Carnifex brutality that we've grown accustomed to. This song has a great contrast between a super fast and violent verse with a more melodic chorus. Well Carnifex melodic so still heavy as hell but it still is perfect for when the song takes on a more serious and personal style. In my opinion this song is about depression or someones battle with depression with lyrics in this song like,  "this is me drifting away" and "Im dead on the inside" it really made me think perhaps someone in the band was singing about a battle they had with depression. Whether Im right or not is another story but either way the lyrics can be interpreted in many different fashions which is another reason I love Carnifex. The break down in this song is insane, period. This is by far Carnifex's secret weapon because although your brought in for the insanely technical musical elements and amazing vocal range. You stay for the break downs, I dont think any modern band has mastered the breakdown like Carnifex has.

Then we have my personal favourite song off of the record "Six Feet Closer To Hell," in my opinion this is the heaviest song on their new album and pays homage to songs like "Hell Chose Me" off of their 2010 album of the same name. The song has the classic anthemic chorus of with the chorus being extremely easy to sing. This song is almost constructed for playing live as I can picture the people in the pit going absolutely insane when this song comes on. The music is heavy but in this case the lyrics are even heavier with the anger and hatred becoming extremely apparent with the lyrics that will chill you to the bone. The song is by far my favourite on the album and anyone who listens to it and is a fan of Death metal will instantly fall in love with the song.

Carnifex has put out another amazing record and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the genre. Carnifex continues to fly their black flag high and proud and Im already excited for their next release. Carnifex is currently on the Summer Slaughter tour with Cannibal Corpse and will be play Ozzfest meets Knotfest. You can get their album on iTunes, Google Play and at any store that sells music.

Headbangers Heaven Productions.
2016 All Rights Reserved.
Eric Snelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment