Sunday 28 August 2016

Drag The Lake album review "I Am Violence"

         Drag The Lake is a Canadian death metal band from Northern Ontario. The bands  EP "I Am Violence" is one of my favourite death metal albums that I currently own. I've listened to them for roughly two years and have seen them perform live once. When I saw them it was one of the coolest shows I've been  oo to date. Because they are an underground band the venue was above a bowling alley, they had about six-seven bands on the bill. Drag The Lake was the headliner of the show and they got on at about midnight.  There were no barriers security or any real separation between the bands and the fans. In between sets the band members were among the crowd listening to the other bands play. Still one of my fondest memories of any concert was at their show.  I was moshing and tripped onto the stage (the stage is only 2-3 feet off the ground.) Without missing a beat the lead singer Mike threw his arm over me and pushed the mic into my face and had me sing a few verses from the song "I am Violence."
Image result for drag the lake live together die alone

It was such a cool experience and is now the reason why I listen to underground music and was a huge inspiration to me on why I write this blog. After seeing Drag The Lake and seeing the talent they possessed and the caliber of their character as a band, I wanted to give underground bands a voice and let people see how talented they are. To me that show showcased what metal should be there was no ego or anger it was just a bunch of people jamming out and celebrating something they love. Which was just downright amazing. I also briefly met the lead singer Mike after his set and for a band that plays such violent and brutal music they are the niecest guys. So as you can tell Im a bit of a fan girl but none the less I'll get on with the actual EP now, thanks for bearing with me.

The first song on the EP is entitled "Widowmaker" and holy crap is it a great intro, the drums and guitar start, comeing in short quick flashes that get your head instantaneously banging. Then the lyrics open up with the verse "I am a monster" and I kid you not the growl will send shivers down your spine, it sounds like it came directly from the pits of hell. From there the song only gets heavier as it progresses. With the vocals switching in between piq squeals and growls and the guitars and drums doing spaced out slow heavy riffs that make you feel like your moving in slow motion. This song is an insanely heavy start to an insanely heavy album and it only gets better.

The next song is called "Deathrow" and it starts just as heavy as "Widowmaker" sending the listener into a trance as they are taken away by the musical brutality that is being thrust upon them. The lyrics to this song are evil at best and are a perfect match for the music. The drums kick off with some inhuman double kicks that makes my feet sore just thinking about. They'r aren't as many pig squeals in this song as "Widowmaker" but it gives us a much needed eardrum rest. Then about three quarters of the way into the song a guitar solo rises above the tuned down guitars which gives a little bit of an eighties hair metal feel. The solo is very well done and the drummer does a great job of keeping a simple pattern during this time period so as not to overshadow the soloist. 

Then we have my favourite song on the EP "I am violence." This song has the most brutal intro not only on the record but in my opinion out of most death metal artists. I can't even explain to you how juiced this song will make you. Within seconds it kicks off and you are on one rage filled journey and the anger just builds at no point in this song is there a lull in the hardcore elements. It is a freight train from hell and it's got no intention of slowing down. The musical elements of this song are exceptional to as the drums and guitar hammer away in burst having brief pauses only to smash right back into it. The guitars are on quick rapid loops that give this track a thrash metal feel. Especially the kicks in this song. They are once again disgustingly fast and would make bands like Slayer and Hatebreed to have a drummer like this in their genre. The song has no let down and stays heavy till the last second which is absolutely fantastic. If you haven't heard of Drag The Lake before this would be a great song to have their talents showcased.

Then the album finishes off with a song called "To the Crows" which the song title is a pretty good indicator for what your in for. The song is fast angry and brutal and has the signature elements that are in all the other tracks on the EP. The short loops, extremely fast kicks and the vocals that make your skin crawl. In this song though about three quarters into the song there is a guest vocalist. His screams aren't as deep but fit in perfectly with the section of the song that he comes in for. The way they've set up his vocals it sounds like he's almost screaming in pain and trust me when I say when you hear this song it will make perfect sense why it fits in so well. Then they have the breakdown to end all breakdowns. There is about a five second pause of all music and then it hits like a tsunami. This breakdown is on par with bands like Pantera and Carnifex. I challenge anyone here not to head bang during this break down. It can't be done. It's just to perfectly put together.

Over all this band is killer and I think anyone here that's into metal should give this band a listen. Even if your not into metal give it a listen, this album very well could turn you to the dark side and next thing you know your dressed in all black in a jean vest that went out of style forty years ago. For more reviews and updates follow me on Instagram @headbangersheaven 
Thanks for reading.

Headbangers Heaven productions.
Eric Snelling
2016 All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment