Wednesday 3 August 2016

Celladoor "Swamp Lobster" Album Review

Image result for celladoor             Before I get this article underway I just want to thank all the bands from the different parts of the world who have submitted their albums for me to review, its really been an amazing experience so far. I also want to especially thank my readers, I started this blog roughly two months ago and am amazed at the readers Ive ammased over this short time. I really want to express how thankful I am that so many of you come and read my reviews and I always appreciate the daily DM over Instagram from readers who have enjoyed my writing it always makes my day.

   Alright Im sorry for that momentary lapse of sappiness now I'll get on with it. Today I listened to a band named Celladoor who are from Manchester. When they sent me the album about a week ago I was slightly surprised at the name of their first feature length album "Swamp Lobster" after listening to this band the name completely fits the music. I kid you not I dont even know how to categorize this band, they definitely have elements of grunge and punk but the lyrics and vocals are something that doesn't fit any of these categories. So for lack of a better term I'm going to categorize their music as amazing. I loved every track of this thirteen song album and I really was taken aback by how original and odd this band was.

   Keeping with the aquatic theme of their album the first track on the album is entitled "Jellyfish" this is instrumental and meant to be an intro so I'm not gonna spend any time on this song, but the song "Jellyfish" feeds into "Pebble" is magnificent. The intro has a massive grunge vibe to it as the off beat drums kick in and raspy vocals take over the song. It's an instant reminder of the early nineties when Grunge was really starting to take off, with the guitars taking a back seat to the drums and vocals and creating an almost hazy sense to the song. It was extremely well done and any fans of Tool or Nirvana will feel like they are being welcomed home to a style of music that we haven't seen much in modern music.

The next song that really caught my attention was entitled "Shrooms" because whats a good rock album without some underlying message about drugs. This song starts out with an extremely slow vibe and slow plucks of a guitar and just as your settling down with a nice tea and getting ready to cry about your problems. Celladoor lets all hell break loose with a riff that gets the blood pumping. As the song progresses between hard verses and slow melodic riffs. Celladoor takes you on a roller coaster ride until finally we hear the steady beat return and slow raspy vocals that carry us throughout the rest of the song. One thing I definitely want to mention is "Shrooms" is an eight minute song and its very hard for even the best of musicians to captivate a listener for that length of time. Even more so its near impossible to capture me for that long as my ADD ridden mind will begin to go crazy but with Celladoor that is not the case as the song ends it leaves you wishing their was more.

Now by far the best song name on the album is "Shot By A Hippy" and I honestly have no idea where they got the inspiration for this song but it is a really enjoyable track to listen to. Again the triply haze filled vibe is abundant in this song and I love how they keep the constant transitions going throughout the album. One second the guitars are barely audible amongst the quiet triply beat and the fifteen seconds your smashing your head off of the car dashboard from head banging to hard. The band is great at keeping the music fun and light while still providing the hard rock element that we all love so much.

Then we have the longest song on the album weighing in at a whopping ten minutes and fifteen seconds "Dead Man Twitching" this song has about a two minute barely audible intro which actually made me wonder if my iPod had died until I realized that this was a part of the song. The first thing that popped in my head was how many times I had been laying in my bed half asleep and partially intoxicated on Nyquil and "Holy Diver" would come on and Id sit there in my dazed state wondering what in the world was going on. "Holy Diver" and that load of crap I just verbally vomited above has nothing to do with the song I just felt like sharing. Okay so now that I have my ADD back under control Ill get on with the song. This is by far the slowest song on the album and It sounds like it may have the most meaning as a song as well. This song lacks the hardcore elements that other songs have on the album but I still liked it because it reminded me of Pink Floyd which I really enjoy, this track may not be for everyone but for anyone still rocking a white man affro and trying to bring world peace through sex, drugs and rock n roll. This is your song.

Celladoor is a band unlike anything I've ever heard and I really dont know how else to sum them up other then I loved their record! Im not gonna sugar coat it the music is weird and won't appeal to everyone but I can't help wondering if when Nirvana first started the grunge movement in the nineties if this was the reaction that everyone had back then. The music is original and intriguing, so if your into grunge or just want to try something new, give Celladoor a listen.

Bandcamp ----> https://celladoor.bandcamp.com/album/swamp-lobster


Headbangers Heaven Productions.
2016 All Rights Reserved.
Eric Snelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment